Monday, November 4, 2013

Glorifying Poverty

There is an increasing popularity with shows that focus on “simple people” or rednecks. This is not a new concept. I remember watching the Beverly Hillbillies. I am not surprised by the success that these shows have had. The examples of today are shows like “Duck Dynasty” and “Here comes Honey Boo Boo”. These shows have a focus the poor and are pure entertainment according to the author of the article. The author is even a “bit sensitive” when it comes to this topic because he grew up poor. He sees the networks of these shows “peddling a brand of ignorance and intolerance that is somehow not seen as offensive.” I think these shows are all in good fun and do not try to poke fun at social classes. I don’t watch a lot of the shows so I cannot speak for all of them. However, I do see positive elements of faith, work, and love in the show “Duck Dynasty”. I think that this is a show that is doing it right today. Although its face is one of a redneck, its heart depicts true values and family. I would argue that “Duck Dynasty” falls into a different category when it comes to shows glorifying poverty. The Robertson family are millionaires and not in poverty. They are rednecks yes, but extremely wealthy ones. I can definitely see the author’s viewpoint and why he would be upset. I would agree that some shows are taking it too far. Poverty is not a joke and is not something to be taken lightly. I think the author has some good insights into the shows that glorify poverty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment