Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Parasocial Activity

Like many of my classmates have admitted, I have a problem with parasocial relationships. When Corey Monteith died, I shed actual tears. I read every news article and I couldn't help but feel overwhelmingly upset for Lea Michele. Never having met the duo, I couldn't be sure but from their interaction on social media avenues and their relationship on Glee as Finn and Rachel, I always thought they were a perfect couple. My heart broke thinking Lea was without a soul mate. I still can't watch an episode of Glee without crying. My period of mourning for a person I have never met is nothing short of sad and weird. I also have a parasocial relationship with the Kardashian family. In my head, I am a Kardashian. I know, I know. But, if you every need Kardashian factoids for a game of trivia I am your girl, just call me Keleste (haha) but really.
Why is it we develop these relationships with people we have a less than likely chance of ever encountering? It's not like celebrities are sitting in their bedrooms at night going "God I wish I could be best friends with a girl from the Midwest." We identify with these people because we find ourselves in them in some way. The glamour of the Kardashian lifestyle and the on screen/off screen love story of Cory and Lea pulls me in because I'm able to keep up with them in real time like the lives of my real friends via networks like Twitter and Instagram thus making them all the more real to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment