Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I wish the people on T.V. would stop talking to us



That title sounds crazy, I would like to clarify I don't hear voices that aren't there lol. So I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed what I am terming the “educated wink” I also considered calling it the “your too smart for this shit wink”, but that’s not all that catchy. The educated wink is when a commercial or TV show deviates from its expected role as passive or inert tools of social influence to directly engage the viewers. I first noticed the wink when watching Conon O’Brian for the first and “regrettably” only time.  O’Brian, can only be described, as obnoxious in his desire to reveal that his show was a complete fabricated representation of a late night TV show. His parody wasn’t so much a subtle nod to the production of televisual media as tool of social control as a violent shaking. The next time I notice the educated wink was in a Chap Stick commercial that started as a traditional commercial, in which an attractive Caucasian woman talked about how much she loved a particular brand of Chap Stick as she walked through a field of flowers. Then the commercial ended, and get this “the camera kept rolling” Boom!!! Mind blown. The attractive Caucasian woman now off camera picks up her backpack, yeah that right backpack, and turns to the camera that is no longer supposed to be there applies the Chap Stick and says something like “e. The action the advertisers were going for on the surface may have been something like, wait, she’s not actually acting… she really uses this chap stick… Oh My God she put it on off camera this is no joke, but some real life shit—No…… Freaking…. Way. I feel like a popular culture student wrote those scripts to say analyze this.

No comments:

Post a Comment