Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Culture of Food

        Before this course, I never took into consideration that the media affects the culture of food in our society. By using social media like Facebook and Instagram to document our everyday food experiences, the web has changed the way society views food. Let’s take fast food for example. This fast food is affordable food, however, it is known as dangerous food as well. The invention of fast, cheap food has led to a decline in family incomes. This means the only food families can afford is fast and cheap food. This fast food is not just cheap, but it is also extremely unhealthy. This doesn’t just effect families but all types of people, including myself. It is not easy to get away from being exposed to cheap, fast food. Big food chains, like McDonalds or Taco Bell, are constantly advertising their food. Not only advertising their food, but also their specials on their corrupt food. Last year on 12/12/12 McDonalds decided to make Big Macs only $.12. Poor college students, like myself, took full advantage of this opportunity. I found out about this Big Mac special through a picture posted on Instagram. After I saw the post, my friends and I went straight to Macdonald’s to indulge in cheap Big Macs. I took advantage of this because it was a lot of food for a little amount of money. Taking this course has given me the knowledge to connect the dots when it comes to social media and culture of food in America. It has definitely made me reconsider what food corporations I support.



No comments:

Post a Comment