Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Reply to "Reality" Television....


I've had the same dilemma. While I don't like what reality TV shows present, I think I would still work for one. I don't want to be a screenwriter, so if I was working crew I would probably comfort myself by saying, "Well, they needed someone anyway.... I'm not really contributing to the problem." But that's the problem, isn't it? People need money, and they'll do what they have to to get by (or get what they want). That, besides the desire to be famous, has to be the reason the subjects of reality TV shows subject themselves to being filmed all the time. They've seen other reality TV shows. The cast of Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo must know they won't be presented in the most favorable light. But they need the money. I think it's sad that people have to do that, both in front of and behind the camera, but that's how the world works I guess.

On other hand, I always assumed most if not all people understood what was really going on when they watched reality TV. I was surprised to learn from this class that that is not the case. I know the knowledge that reality TV is in no way reality didn't just come floating into my head by itself, but I can't remember where I learned it either. I've known it for so long now that it seems like the ever-present truth that everyone already knows. But sometimes I learn that other people don't actually know that yet, and I'm forced to think from a new perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment