Wednesday, November 20, 2013

symbolism in sports

I always respected the athletes in sports that broke the color barrier and paved the way for minorities in sports.  I know some people say keep the politics out of sport but it is a way for people to stand for something and make there personal statement.  Whatever the stance ma be.  One of the most symbolic pictures in sports is the picture with the two African American runners at the olympics with their fists to the sky symbolizing 'black power'.  I always respected the picture but I found out from the movie so much more about the picture.  How the open jacket symbolized where he was from, how his shoes symbolized something, and how the necklace symbolized lynching. I admire that type of stance so much.  In other pictures I also remember a man saluting hitler.  I may not respect that but it is still powerful and is a reminder of history.  I think sports and athletes play such a big role and are representatives for so many people on a national and universal platform, I personally ether respect it or take note of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment