Wednesday, November 20, 2013

African Americans in Sports

     After watching the part on African Americans and their role in sports, I feel that they have taken a progressive role in turning the hate into positive light. Just as the video said, it takes a lot to turn down sponsors to just believe in what you believe. African Americans have had to battle white superiority since the beginning of modern industrialization and honestly still battle with it.
    Muhammad Ali to me, was just a man who boxed or wrestled. I knew of his famous quote, but knew nothing of his goals, life, or beliefs. Today, I was shown how much more there is to this man and what he stood for, not just in the jock-ocracy, but in life itself. I wasn't aware that he went in partnership with Martin Luther King Jr. or that he had changed his name. All these things make a person more than just a famous quote.
     The author of the video did a tremendous job with comparing examples to back up his claims and to show what he was talking about. I feel more informed on how media has been able to channel "norms" into our lives and we just blindly accept and not question things as to why they happen. In a sense, it's kind of scary to think that we and a culture can be manipulated without even being aware of it happening. I hope that one day we can all learn to question reasoning, to not just sit back and be manipulated by commercials and videos, to be able to justify our beliefs with more than just "because I said so." This class has helped me to not just think in the way that I have thought for twenty years of my life but to now think outside of my general reasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment