Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Princess Culture

I know it was awhile ago when we talked about Princess Culture, but it's something that I have been thinking about lately. I specifically want to talk about the princess culture and television shows. Toddlers and Tiara's makes it seem like every little girl should be wearing pink, tutu's, and competing in pageants. Other shows still show girls as being subservient and weak compared to their brothers, other male friends, or any male role in general. No one shows the Tom Boys or the girls who compete at real sports and that drives me insane. In other countries, girls are still being told that they shouldn't be educated because they are supposed to stay home and take care of that. In my television class we watched a newer foreign cartoon that really inspired me, as well as girls in other countries. It's called: Burka Avenger. It's a show that has a female lead role, who is secretly a "superhero". The fact that she is a woman though is what is making the difference. This show is inspiring girls to stand up for themselves and protect their rights. It's starting a revolution and that's really awesome to see. We need more shows like this, that encourage girls to be bold and stand up for what they think is right. We also need more organizations like Girls Incorporated. I grew up at Girls Inc with my mom working there. Their logo is: Inspiring all girls to be Strong, Smart, and Bold. Those three things have really made me who I am today. We need to get away from the princess culture and start to focus on empowering young women. They are going to be the leaders of tomorrow, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment