Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Olympics Black Power Salute




When watching the Not Just a Game documentary I learned so much about the history of sports and how sporting events are not just about the game it can be about traditions, race, gender norms, etc. Out of all of the examples that were used in the documentary, I believe that the Iconic Olympic Black Power Salute photo stood out to me the most. Growing up I always saw people posting this picture and saying that this picture means so much. I always agreed but I never really knew why this picture was so iconic besides the obvious Black Power stance. When the narrator in the documentary broke down everything the John Carlos and Tommy Smith represented in the photo, I have so much more respect and appreciation for it. I never noticed that John Carlos' jacket was unzipped for solidarity. Only a few pictures shows the men's feet to show that they do not have on their shoes as well as black socks to represent black poverty. Tommy Smith wore a black scarf to represent black pride. Also around John Carlos' neck was beaded necklace to represent any individual that was lynched, killed, hung, tarred, or thrown off the side of boats in the middle passage. 
For all this to be represented in one photo is absolutely amazing. Honestly I believe that this photo should not be a photo for African American people this photo should be appreciated by all Americans.Even though I do not watch sporting events I believe that you can always make a society changing statement or action just like John Carlos and Tommy Smith did. I commend these gentlemen because they did lose their careers but they gained so much respect that they will always be remember maybe not by name but by what they've they done.

No comments:

Post a Comment