Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Gender role progression

I know that Gender roles is always a big topic of discussion and that women feel degraded or looked down upon but I think things have changed so drastically from where they used to be.  A lot of people think that in a traditional Christian house hold that the women are always extremely submissive and that the man is supposed to carry the wait in every way.  That stereotype or notion is not always true at all.  My household for an example is the opposite of that.  My mother brings in majority of my family;s income and makes more money then my father. My father has had very good jobs through out his whole career from opening business to managing offices and business but my mother is at the point in her career where she is making more.  That factor ads no trouble to our household or to their marriage.  My father is also the one who does all the cooking and is more of a neat freak then my mother.  switched roles? not at all. My father is still without a doubt the man of the house.  There's no question about it. The fact that he cooks, cleans, ands sews doesn't take aways from his masculinity or "man hood". The man was a star athlete all his life and will go to war over the people he loves! I just honestly think things have come such a long way in the aspect that men don't need to hold to stereotype in order to be a man.  My mother isn't a power hungry woman who posses male qualities like the movies try to portray in moves, she's a very petite, gentle, christian woman. I respect them both so much. I think they may be the reason I don't feed into stereotypes but it just seems to me that America is a lot more diverse in family life then TV and the movies make it seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment