Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Celebs and the 3rd Wave


Third wave feminism is very interested to me. I never actually thought about what plays into a feminist because of the common stereotypes that just lay the basics down, but I think third wave feminism is great. Someone in class mentioned that they did not see a problem with it because they are using their resources to convey messages. Are we wrong for deciding who makes the feminist cut?

In media right now, there is talk that Miley claims to be a feminist. Her definition was basically telling women not to be scared of anything. We often see Miley in the news for being over dramatic, or shall I say just how the media portrayals her every move as dramatic.

People disagree with her being a feminist because she hasn’t done anything (or nothing has been reported) for women’s rights.

Someone who does see her side is Catherine, “She’s using it for her own purposes, she’s increasing her fan base, she’s making a lot of money, she’s doing what she wants to do.”


On the other hand we have Lily Allen who has been ridiculed for her pregnancy weight gain and not losing the pounds fast enough.

She recently came out with the song, Hard Out Here. It actually mocks Robin’s Thicke’s Blurred Lines song and video, Miley as well. Some of the lines include, "I won't be bragging 'bout my cars or talking 'bout my chains… Don't need to shake my ass for you 'cause I've got a brain."

When picking the feminist here, to some it can be simply clear, but for me it’s confusing. Being a feminist has such a broad definition. I think if you are using woman power for yourself, it can be just as rewarding as using it to help other women. I often hear that we women need to embrace ourselves and be comfortable in our own skin. With these two artists, they both have different views of that and it’s perfectly okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment