Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Video Games

In the TED video that was shown in class it was stated that video games can be involved in the process of learning. I completely agree with this statement and I can back it up with my own personal experience.
Ever since I was a small child I was completely obsessed with machinery, cars, planes anything.  When I got my first Xbox in seventh or eight grade it came with Forza 3. The Forza franchise is all about cars, tuning them, racing them and even painting them. Forza really unlocked my love of mechanical engineering I was allowed to do absolutely anything to the car that I wanted. I could tune a 65 dodge charger, with around one thousand horsepower and reach speeds over two hundred miles an hour if I could get the transmission gearing right. The game franchise led me to apply for engineering school which I didn’t go, obviously. It helped me fuel an obsession that will last for the rest of my life. It helped with my confidence in fixing things which translates to a real world skill.

Other than racing games I loved Puzzle games, games that made you think. Out of all of those games I played the Half-Life series, granted that this is a science fiction game but within the game there were an extraordinary amount puzzles to traverse the maps. Again this unlocked my love of puzzle solving and fixing problems.  It helped with analyzing situations and looking for solutions skill set. 

Video games are useful in different aspects, it just that parents need to find out which games they need to give their children so they can grow intellectually and not just use them for senseless killing and mayhem (don’t get me wrong GTA is fun but it lacks in the intellectual puzzle solving department).

No comments:

Post a Comment