Thursday, November 21, 2013

Female Characters


I have to say I do not have a biased view on strong female characters. I think there is an audience for every character people could think of.  Strong female characters first and for most appeal to the female viewer. It gives them power and ambition to pursue their dreams, empowering women to chase positions of power. The first movie that comes to mind is Lara Croft: Tomb Raider played by Angelina Jolie. She uses her athletic ability and intellect along with technology to outsmart and overpower her opposition, mainly men. When the two do confront each other throughout the movie, the viewer wants to see the female character prevail. I have to agree, but I can’t tell if it is solely because she is the main character, who mostly any viewer supports and roots for. I will in this case relate to television series Breaking Bad and the mother Skylar White. All throughout this series she stays behind Walt the main character. She supports him even after they come to an understanding of Walt’s illegal trade. She then uses her superior knowledge to outsmart men in her background of financial situations, buying a company and laundering money. Something that people may not expect from a female character. No matter how out of control things got she protected her children before herself. Near the end of the series, she finally loses it and overpowers the Walt in his darkest hours. I would say a very strong female character. People may not have supported her until the last few seasons but in the end she received respect from the audience. So my overall basis is I stand behind them in their roles, but at the same time I don’t want to see all men overplayed by women. In general I guess this levels the playing field and constructs new and creative stories turned into productions.  Here is a great way to look at it:
http://feministing.com/2013/08/20/the-skyler-white-problem-can-we-accept-complex-female-characters/

No comments:

Post a Comment