Sunday, November 3, 2013

Coming out over the years

I guess I should put a sort of disclaimer of the fact that I didn't know much about being gay on television besides the shows I watched that happened to have a character on there. First, I found out about Ellen because she was on every form of media when she came out of the closet. She was the most well known lesbian at the time. Next thing I figure out, Friends had two girls get together but they were just on the sidelines. I didn't know it was a big deal. Then I watched a show called ER, which happened to deal with a gay character. Again, it wasn't a main storyline but it just happened. Then finally, the only real situation where I saw the process of what it was like was on Glee. They actually had a main character play a gay student and another girl play a lesbian. I believe Demi Lovato is now on there playing a lesbian. Soon after Glee, Pretty Little Liars has a girl, who is the main character, that deals with the struggle of coming out of the closet.

The point of this is to stress the fact that I didn't realize how much time it took to get to this point. I always saw stuff about being gay and lesbian but it was always on the sidelines. Being in an Indian family, my parents were a lot more conservative about us hearing about it. Then they realized it was becoming more mainstream so they didn't care if we heard about it after we reached our teens. I am simply emphasizing the fact that I don't see the big deal about having gay characters or people in life and television. To those who fall in love, you all know you cant help it. Demi Lovato is straight but she plays a gay character and I thought that was brave of her to support her homosexual fans like that. I am straight and I support gay rights because while I was growing up, I was exposed to the idea and I didn't see a problem with it. I think it's about time we have more shows like these so the people who are gay/lesbian feel supported and Ellen definitely helped them have more support. I think she is brave and so is anyone else who dares to fall in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment