Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Proper Role Model

Growing up, my father left my family when I was of the age of fourteen, therefore I never really had a father figure in my life. Leaving only my mother to take care of the family, we were mostly baby-sat by our television. Without a father, I didn’t really have a sense of direction as to how a man should conduct himself or treat women in general, surely my own mother couldn’t be the one to do this, she was a women. However, she is the one person in my life who I have complete trust and faith in and look to for advice on just about anything in life.

Being baby-sat by the television I grew to love shows from the 90’s such as “Rugrats,” “Hey Arnold,” “Cat & Dog,” “Angry Beavers,” “Courage The Cowardly The Dog,” “Ed, Edd, and Eddy,” and “The Fairly Oddparents.” However, all these shows depicted the male leads, or the father figures as idiots who couldn’t even remember their wife’s birthday or they were to whiny and consistently made fun of fact that they showed any emotion or care to anyone out of the ordinary. My mother being the awesome person that she is, would instruct me that these were not people that I should look up to and that it was ok to express yourself no matter the consequence. She would teach me and help me learn that these male leads did not make for a good inspiration of how men should treat their wives or how to act in person. It’s funny to think about, but I owe it all to my mother.


Here is this person I thought couldn’t teach me how to be a real man, but it’s because of her that I learned to properly treat a women. She taught me how to properly share my feelings and how communication and passion is key to a successful relationship. My own mother, and not some idiotic father figure on a 90’s cartoon. When, I’m praised for how I treat women or how I’m such an older soul, I always give her thanks; it makes me wish that there were more people that had someone with a similar upbringing.

No comments:

Post a Comment