Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Prince's and Princess's: Where Did it Start?

     As a little girl, I grew up thinking that I wanted to be just like Pocahontas. She's brave, daring, beautiful, strong, driven, independent: all the things I wanted to be when I grew up. Then, media hit. Why is it that when we are born (boy or girl), we either get a tiara or a superman cape? Pink or blue? Balloons or flowers? My mom told me that I was, unfortunately, bald until I was almost two-years-old. And GUESS WHAT! Many people told my mom that she had a beautiful baby BOY.
     Wonderful. As a child, I grew up with TV shows that had girls who were in charge, boys who were mean but wanted to be cool and awesome. The "Princess Culture" has kind of woken media consumers with discussions and photos such as these.


     This Tumblr account Disney Gone Wild contains much more in depth conversation about the media and how this tumblr is going against media norms and stereotypes. While the princess culture has positives such as: independence, empowerment, fighting for justice, but this culture also contains negatives like: submission, consumerism, changing for others, etc. But here is the kicker, instead of this happening through our childhood, it still happens now and even when we are old. When you are an adult, women still need to look good, workout and have the perfect body. They should wear high heels and promote herself  in a sexy promiscuous way. Women are supposed to entice the men either with their body, their looks, or their material lifestyle. That being said, the men are driven to be muscular, strong, brave, and an unemotional rock. What kind of life or relationship is that? This is the princess culture influencing more than just the clothes you come home in-but even then the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment