Thursday, October 24, 2013

Terrors in Tiaras

Alright, the clip from "Toddlers in Tiaras" that we watched in class really got me thinking. This was the most I had ever seen of the show for obvious reasons, mainly because I respect myself as a human being (sorry not sorry to those who enjoy the show). It just baffled me that one child could be so demanding and destructive. That tiny human known as Mackenzie had her mother completely on lock. The parent was at the complete mercy of a three-foot four-year-old clad in an evil robe of pink. so it got me thinking: What makes this kind of television popular?

The first thing I thought of was the phrase "It's like a trainwreck; I can't look away." We don't want to admit we're intrigued by this kind of garbage. However, it's got something to do with the extreme nature of the programming. Is it embellished? Absolutely. Staged? Probably. The success lies with the fact that only a small percentage of the population is exposed to these toddler beauty pageants first-hand. The rest of us have only one impression, and that's what we see on television.

This ties into the princess as narcissists mentality. In our notes, there's a bullet point that mentions the idea of overspending and an inflated sense of entitlement. Mackenzie definitely exhibited that. I'd also like to point out that there was no sight or mention of a husband or boyfriend in the picture (my guess is he spends a lot of time outside the house, presumably at his local tavern or pub... at least that's what I'd be doing). The lack of a second parent further enables the kid to be a "Terror in Tiara" as I like to call it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment