Tuesday, October 15, 2013

New Friends on Facebook!


     We have talked about how Facebook and social media usually makes you lonelier, and how it does not drive relationships. It more pushes you away from the outside world. Well a few weeks ago it was sorority Bid Day, and my sorority inducted 50 new women into our sisterhood after a crazy weekend of recruitment activities.
     I realized this today, that I do not know barely any of them, and yet, we are already friends on Facebook! This seems very appropriate to show the impact of social media and it's positive impact on people, because I did not have time to go around and meet every single one in one night. But now that I have friend access to their Facebook pages, I can go "creep" on them, and kind of put a name to a face, and maybe align some similar interests! This, in turn, makes me feel closer to them, and that I know more about them without even having to talk to them in person! Then, when I do meet them face-to-face, which will be sporadically throughout the semester, I will already know a little background on them, and they on me.     It is a mutual want to be accepted by each other, and social media helps that want. Facebook, although can tear people away from life outside their computer screens, it also has the potential to draw people closer together, like me with the new women of my sorority. Instead of feeling lonely, I look at their profiles, learn a little more about them, interact with them via Facebook and other social media, and almost feel like we are better friends because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment