Monday, October 14, 2013

Hipsters

     I was particularly interested in our unit about hipsters, and if they are posers or not. I found it interesting that this topic founds its way to our class, but I thoroughly enjoy arguing that very topic so I was excited.
     I've never understood why people are so focused on grouping or categorizing others. Rather than focusing on arguing whether someone is an “authentic” hipster or not, I like to focus on the obsession with categorizing. If they are not “authentic”, what difference does that make? At the end of the day, they are still being who they want to be at that moment whether you feel that it is “real” or not. For example, I don’t consider myself a “hipster”, but I fit the description that Urban Dictionary provided. Does this mean I am a poser, or does this mean that I am in fact a hipster, or does this simply mean I dress and behave the way I do because it is who I am at that time? I do not throw a beanie on in the mornings in order to stand out in a crowd, but rather because it is cold in the mornings. I enjoy thrifting because it is cheap and fun, not because I want to stand out and be “cool”.

     Overall, I think society has to get away from categorizing, and being judgmental. More often than not, if someone is trying to challenge your authenticity, it is because they wish they had the nerve to be who they truly are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment