Monday, October 28, 2013

Superhero Culture • Playing the Cards You're Dealt

Like most middle school guys, I hit the phase of idolizing the superheroes and masked men in colorful spandex. The phase originally started with the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers in 1993, and evolved into the Marvel comic book heroes a decade later. The very first comic book movie I ever saw was Spider-Man (2002) with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst. Thus began my fascination with having an awesome super-ability and hidden identity that no one can ever know.

I began to write my own comic adventures and insert myself into plots of these types of movies. I guess my superhero phase was rooted in the inherent idea of “good conquers all.” I was never really drawn to the violence aspect of it. After discussing it class, I realize I was also drawn to the “social outcast/living with a curse” aspect of being a hero. Examples: Peter Parker is the stereotypical nerd in high school. He gets bitten by a radioactive spider and is instantly transformed into a web-slinging badass. He was a role model to me, because I hadn’t peaked in the social pecking order at that point (thank GOD). I identified with Peter/Spider-Man in fifth and sixth grade, and my superhero obsession expanded into the Marvel franchise.


After reading and class discussions, I’ve kind of developed my own idea of superhero culture as a teaching tool. I believe that a theme of this particular cultural area is making the best of your situation and playing the hand you’re dealt. Whether it’s getting grenade shrapnel lodged in your chest (Iron Man), experiencing a cosmic radiation storm in space (Fantastic Four) or being a part of a wildly expensive government experiment (Captain America or Wolverine), all of these heroes struggle to make the best of their circumstances. It’s cool to see this because it humanizes them tremendously. It’s not all butt-kicking and getting the girl. To me, the superhero culture should be viewed as one with a focus on good beating evil and making the best of your situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment