Monday, October 14, 2013

Culture of Food

As we have been learning about how food marketing campaigns are targeting and involving social media, the main thought that comes to my mind is, "They are definitely working."  When we saw the Doritos Locos Taco commercial in class, I definitely wanted one.  I wouldn't even have posted a picture to Instagram.  To be honest, it was 10:30 and I was getting hungry.  I feel like the the marketing campaigns for fast food companies are becoming more and more persuasive as I get older.  I definitely know that McDonald's, Taco Bell, Burger King, and Kentucky Fried Chicken are bad for you, but their advertising is almost becoming an art.  The competition between fast food restaurants is becoming so carnal that they are willing to put even more money into advertising and marketing.  
I completely agree with Michael Pollan's cycle argument.  When he stated that the invention of cheap and fast food led to the decline in family income so now they can only purchase cheap and fast food.  His cycle makes so much sense and could really be stated as the problem with today's food industry.  When he said fast food was a pillar of our society, he wasn't lying.  If a pillar of a building gets destroyed, the entire building will collapse.  Because of our dependence of fast food, I feel that our country would be completely crushed if the fast food industry was removed.  I know that many people need fast food because of its convenience.  I myself eat fast food, but if we were all honest with ourselves, we would know that the fast food we usually receive is harmful.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment