Thursday, October 3, 2013

Grand Theft Auto: An Outsider's Perspective.


Alright. So two weeks ago, the highly-anticipated Grand Theft Auto V was released. It was the first title in the series to be released since 2008, so the hype surrounding this game was monumental. Now I don't know specifics of the game, but I know that the general idea is running around an open world based on the greater Los Angeles area and basically wreaking havoc by way of melee attacks, weaponry and automobile theft.

So here’s my question: HOW DID A GAME LIKE GTA5 GENERATE $800 MILLION IN REVENUE IN 24 HOURS?

I know violent games with mature themes tend to sell well due to sensationalism and sensual nature, because that kinda stuff is what people want. However, I don’t understand how upstanding fraternity gentlemen spend hours on end playing a game that allows the player to freely roam about, kill civilians, steal cars and engage in illicit behaviors like sex and drug trafficking.

This might tie in to the cool factor we’ve discussed in class. The only real desire is the desire to be cool. I’m not saying that the themes in GTA5 are considered cool, but when so much focus is centered on behavior that the normal gamer would never engage in is when it becomes more desirable. In no way am I saying that people who play this game will be driven to do these things. I’m saying that I don’t understand why the appeal is so strong. My friends who play the game are some of the nicest, most kindhearted people I know.

This being said, I think it’s fine that people who understand the themes won’t be too heavily affected by the game’s adult content. However, there’s a reason these things are given ratings. Under no circumstance should a child under the age of 17 be allowed to play this game. Ever. I sat and watched for about 5 minutes and about 100 expletives were dropped in that timeframe.  

Ba

No comments:

Post a Comment