Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Learning to be a Princess

I have never been into the Disney princesses. If you asked me to tell you the story line, I could because of their existence in popular culture but not because I myself I had seen the movies--apart from The Little Mermaid that is. I grew up though, a princess. I didn't play in frilly dresses, but I did dress up as a Spice Girl and put on concerts for my grandparents in cowgirl boots and a blanket dress most days. I played with Barbies and babies, had a pretty sweet 90's Easy Bake Oven. I was a girly girl by all means of the word with no brothers or male cousins to influence me otherwise. I have been a dancer my entire life, did a few kid pageants, cheered in high school. I will admit too that I grew up a spoiled brat. I never wanted for anything and that is what contributes to a lot of little girls "princess identity".
Now at the age of 21, I sometimes catch myself feeling entitled and hyper feminine like the chapter discussed and that disgusts me beyond belief. Whenever my mom and I get into a fight because I want something and she doesn't think I need it, it upsets me way more than it should. The privilege that comes with the princess culture we teach little girls has to end sometime in their lives but how do you go from hearing "yes" your whole life to hearing "no do it on your own, don't be entitled." I like to think that I have grown a lot and the world doesn't have to be quite so glamorous but it is so easy to get wrapped up and forget that maxing out my $1,500 credit card was a horrible decision. I think the princess culture, at least on my end of the spectrum, is definitely fed by consumerism. Keeping up with the Jones', or in this case the Kardashian's, is what fuels my interest in the material and is where I continue to unfortunately live in the "princess" world.

No comments:

Post a Comment