Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I am not a princess. Neither are you.

I know nothing about the real pageant world and maybe these TV shows play it up a little bit, but this post is based on what the media has given me and my extreme dislike for all things pink and frilly and princess-y. 

 I'll admit, I used to watch Toddlers and Tiaras a few years ago. I wouldn't say I loved it, but if it was on I would watch it. I never understood how a parent could willingly exploit their little girl like that. Making them shake their butts and twirl around for the judges while wearing custom made dresses or the midriff top which was a part their cow girl outfit. Shouldn't the parent be encouraging their little girl to be sensible, modest, and comfortable with exactly who they are? Call me old fashion, but I don't think it's right for people to be judging little kids based on their appearance. If this is the case, it should really be a contest for the parents; whoever makes their child look the closest to a plastic doll wins the prize. 
In my opinion, this teaches little girls that it is right to be judged and people will only like you as you get older if you are "done-up" and "pretty." Our society thrives on being beautiful, we see it left and right on all forms of media with beauty products, skin enhancers, and age defying what have yous. I get it, I'm a girl and still want to have that flawless complexion, but I'm 18 and realistic. I have eczema, blemishes, I sometimes have bags under my eyes because, well college, but I know I am beautiful in the way I present myself, how I feel about myself, and how I show self-confidence (confidence, not cockiness though) that portrays everything of a princess. I would never, let's get that straight, NEVER consider myself or want to be considered a princess. I love my dad, but I don't even want to be his princess. He's not a king, I don't rule people, I have yet to marry a real prince who does in fact rule a country. I'm not a princess, I'm not a diva, I'm not a brat, I'm not spoiled, I am a hardworking, independent, hard headed woman who knows she is beautiful no matter what perfect image the world tries to throw in her face. And I love the color blue. 

So all in all, main stream and judgmental people can shove it in their cans. I'm not dressing my children in gender specific colors or only letting them only play with gender specific toys. I want my children to be happy and know it’s okay to be a tomboy or to love your mommy and still be a strong young man. The most important thing is to be comfortable in your own skin, not wishing you had someone else's.

Megan Dearlove

No comments:

Post a Comment