Monday, October 7, 2013

Am I A Hipster, Too?

I decided I really liked our class lecture about hipsters, and I really wanted to write a blog post about that subject. The “Portlandia” clip we watched in class I feel is so true! I love that show, and the whole thing is centered around the idea that Portland is a home for hipsters, and people who don’t like “mainstream” culture. That is exactly why “Portlandia” is funny. Because we don’t realize that everything we love that we think is unique is actually the exact opposite!
One of my favorite examples of this hipster culture would have to be from a group called Harvard Sailing Team. They make and post hilarious videos on YouTube that poke fun at culture or trends today. Their video entitled “Hipster Thanksgiving” is about how hipsters post photos of food on Instagram and other social media, but also how that culture will try and one-up each other with their individuality. That is something that HST does very well – they make that point so obviously funny that you have to rethink your life a little. I know after watching that video and others of theirs, I thought about why I bought the things I did, or why I feel that I’m unique. I have to say, I’m not as bad as the characters in the video, but I have clothes or music that I picked up because I thought it would make me stand out.

Overall, HST is just a way for us to see that we think of others’ reactions to what we buy and how we dress rather than ourselves sometimes. The “hipster” lifestyle has impacted us all in some way, it’s just a matter of time before we figure out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment