Sunday, November 10, 2013

Social Norms vs. Reality TV

I am going to just cut to the chase. And I realize this may just be me ranting but I am posting questions to the world of what I don't understand about our society as a whole.

I don't understand the fad of reality tv. At all. I must be the only person in America that does not watch reality tv. I watch one show: Duck Dynsaty. But i don't do it to be baffled by the fact that this wealthy band of hillbillies blow up things with dynomite. I laugh at the comments that are exchanged between any other character on the show and Uncle Si.
But those dance shows, or pagent shows or teen moms (i don't even know what all is out there), I just do NOT get it.

1) How is it entertaining?

I get so incredibly bored when forced to sit through anything like that. It is the same old story line every episode. I get fed up with the stars' ridiculous attitudes and over reaction to every little thing that goes wrong. There is always an obnoxious amount of screaming, crying, and temper tantrums. (And 80% of the time all of the comes from the MOTHERS of the shows) Like really...? You are an adult; please make a genuine attempt to behave like one. I just get mad! It's not entertaining; it's pathetic!

2) Do people actually buy into the idea that "Reality TV" is real?

How!? Every show is based on extreme cases. I mean really. Let's look at Storage Wars for example. What is the likelyhood that you go purchase a storage unit in the middle of no where and alas you find a rare item worth thousands of dollars? And to top it off this supposedly happens every week? "JK LOLS" No! This does not happen! There were leaks in the social media that proved it was all staged! Yet, my mother and sister still watch the show religiously even though they are aware of the fact that it is in fact a hoax. Which brings me to my next question:

3) If we don't understand how thses shows are entertaining, and we know they are staged, why do we, as a consumer, still invest ourselves into them?

It's an escape from our dull, nothing too special lives. Every episode of every show is filled with ridiculousness and drama because these industries secretly know that, essentially, and pardon me for being forward, we all think our own lives suck. They know we have everyday routines that we get tired of and bored with. So, they know the slightest bit of drama, excites our dreary days.
Another idea is that because we witness the extreme cases of ridiculousness, it makes us feel better about oursleves. We take comfort realizing we are not as vapid, self centered, or pathetic as the characters on screen.

But should we really invest in a product for these reasons? I say no. It's that classic "don't tear others down to build yourself up." We should just cut the first part and build ourselves up. Bored? Take some advice from the Spice Girls and "Spice up your life." Do something spontaneous. Or go out and meet new people or hangout with old friends. Anything that makes you happy in your own world, in your own life. Because that's the reality. And some day, people are goign to have to pull themselves out of "Reality TV" and into the land of the living, and they will be in for a rude awakening!

No comments:

Post a Comment