Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Princess Culture

I am about to write something that is going to shock many girls in the class.
I, Sara Huntington, have never seen a Disney Princess movie. Yep, not one of them. I guess I was always so busy I never spent much time watching TV. At least that was my moms excuse. Now that being said it may be assumed that I was more of a tom boy.
Nope! I loved dress up, dancing and bossing my family around. I always wanted to be a grown up. I loved pretending to dress up for work and sit at my moms desk and pretend to be the boss.
You may be wondering how this all connects.
Well in class we learned that "princesses" make unreachable standards for little girls. But I as well had unreachable standards as a child even though I have not seen one princess movie. I wanted to grow up and get married and be pretty just like princesses do.
So Do I believe that the princess culture is what makes little girls act the way they do? Well of course not. I believe it's about how you are raised. My parents taught me that if I work hard I can be pretty and successful too. I may have been a little spoiled, which made me bossy, but I blame my parents for that; not the media.
So in my opinion there is not "princess culture." It's just culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment