Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Media Framing

What happened to Matthew Shepard was awful and being the type of person I am when national tragedies like this happen I feel very affected and sad. It's not that I knew these people personally or had any connection I just cant wrap my head around such violent actions and it blows my mind that someone could do that to another person. So naturally since I don't know the people who are hurt by such events I have to find out about them through other outlets, mainly the media. I have been thinking about the question does media framing help relieve the public from its guilt? As someone that follows the media closely when things like this happen I would say yes it does. I was not old enough to be to involved with the Matthew Shepard case, but sadly there are have been many more tragedies. I will you the Aurora shooting as an example, both events were extremely unfortunate, an both blown up by the media. The first time I heard about the theater shooting I was shocked and couldn't believe it. I looked all over for an answer as to why the shooter would do something so awful. However the only place I could find answers was in the media. The media had framed the shooter as crazy and no remorse, but who wouldn't? Someone would have to be clinically insane to do such a terrible act. I do believe the media is there to relieve the public. The way the report the storys and present the information will help each person grieve in their own way on the situation. Whether it's relating to the victims or trying to understand how someone can be so evil, the media will be there to answer your questions and help you sort through your thoughts on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment