Monday, September 16, 2013

Smartphone, Dumb Conversation

After completing the Literacy Journal assignment for my Digital Literacies class, I had to step back and evaluate what I had recorded. See, the point of the assignment was to write down every single moment we read or wrote something during the day. We had to do this for a week straight. I noticed there was one constant throughout my literacy intake and outtake: I spend too much time on the Internet.

I don't mean researching and engaging in important information that was critical to learning. I mean, I was on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Pinterest every hour, and sometimes even several hours all at once.

It's not like any of this information was news to me, nor was I shocked that it occurred so often. I've been completely aware of my social network interaction for the last seven years. But it all seemed to accelerate and increase in December 2012, when I receive my first ever smartphone.



So when did this behavior become acceptable? Appropriate? Healthy?

I went to BDUBS tonight with a good friend and former roommate of mine. Over the last few months I have become increasingly aware of how distracted I am through the use of my iPhone in public settings. So, tonight, I decided to leave it untouched and in my purse. Checking Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, and even Snapchat was off-limits for the next hour and fifteen minutes we were going to spend together.

We talked about church, class schedules, different teachers we had. We also talked about the new people in our lives and the old people. We talked about our pasts and things that hadn't been brought up in a while. The important part of the evening wasn't necessarily the conversation topics we covered, but the fact that I could recall the conversation an hour afterwards. I've only been able to do that a handful of times since December.

Over the last eight months, there were times when I was so busy updating pictures and statuses of who I was hanging out with and what we were doing that I missed out on actually enjoying my time with those people and participating in the activities we were engaging.

While I was sitting in BDUBS, I took a mental note of how many tables around me had easy access to their cell phones. The first point I should make is that every table within eyesight of me had at least one smartphone sitting out. The second point should be that at every one of those tables there were at least two people actively engaged on their phones. And to clarify, there isn't only the distraction of the smartphone at Buffalo Wild Wings. I counted over forty screens in the building, at least five different shows and games on, and there was music playing from the jukebox.

So what's my point? During this entire meal, those people at the tables were either on their phones or engaged in whatever game of their choice. There was very little conversation and if there was any conversation, it was meaningless and shallow passing of useless information that the receiving party forgot within seconds of interpretation.

But, Rachel, that's the whole point of BDUBS. You're not suppose to have real conversation. You're suppose to be watching the game!

When did that become an appropriate rebuttal? When did we promote the lack of communication and conversation with one another, especially during a meal? When did texting at the table and taking phone calls become an acceptable behavior at meal time? This kind of activity isn't limited to one specific restaurant. It happens anywhere and everywhere.




And now you can save yourself from your smartphone by buying this smartphone. It'll get you in, out, and on with your life. Except it won't. 

We're not connecting with people through technology. We may use the excuse that we "stay in contact" with people, but if I were to ask you when the last time you had a personal conversation with someone face-to-face, how would you respond? I would tell you that I have daily discussions with between ten to thirty of my Facebook friends, personally. And I have a total of 1,037 Facebook "friends."

It's becoming increasingly evident, not only in our lack of communication skills, but also our physical biology that we are becoming addicted to smartphones.




"The more 'connected' we are, the less we're connecting."

We're not only disconnecting from the physical world through our smartphone use, but we're also increasing the risks of developing mental disorders that can have a lifetime effect.

My challenge to you is to leave your phone, whether it be a smartphone or a dumbphone, home for a day. See how many times you go to reach for it. Try and strike up a conversation with a stranger. Test to see whether you experience withdrawal and are truly addicted to your smartphone. Just one day can make you realize how dependent you are on social networking to connect with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment