Thursday, September 19, 2013

Parasocial relationships with celebrities we look up to.

I believe everyone has a parasocial relationship with a celebrity they look up to. For example, in a weird way I think I have a parasocial relationship with one of my favorite NFL players...Clay Matthews. Why? Because he had to work hard and claw his way to his dream and that's what I want to do. If you look up his history he rarely saw the football field in high school because of his size and his dad was the defense coach. He still wanted to play football so he walked on to a D1 school (USC) and it took until his senior year in college till he started. And once he did that's when everyone saw his true talent. How does that make me relate to him. I never got to start in high school either because of my size and right now I'm in the process of trying to walk on to the Ball State football team. Now obviously wanting to be in the NFL is a little too big to think about right now but I want to be able to accomplish at least playing football one more time and reading Clay Matthews' story motivates me. I'd love to play again and I'd love to give it my all and show the talent I have. That's why I feel like I have a parasocial relationship with Clay Matthews.

No comments:

Post a Comment