Monday, September 30, 2013

Hipsters or Poseurs?

One of the readings I found most interesting this past week was "Why do People Hate Hipsters".  The first thing I wanted to do was look at Urban Dictionary to see what people really think hipsters are.  The most common definition was: Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence and witty banter.

I wish I could say that I disagree with this stereotypical definition, but this is exactly what I think of when I think of hipsters.  I see guys in v neck t-shirts, thick rimmed glasses, tight pants and trendy shoes.  I think they are poseurs; they are trying to be someone they aren't just so they can stand out from the crowd.  I know we are young and still trying to "find ourselves" but hipsters are going way above and beyond standing out from the crowd.

Like our reading suggests, I also believe that hipsters keep us moving forward into new fashions and allows us to discover new things that haven't become lame and hipster. Without hipsters, we would be stuck with the same fashion sense as everyone around us. 

Then I think of myself. I think of when I go to a football game.  I dress up in Ball State football shirts and put paint under my eyes and maybe add in a sweatband.  I never watch the football games at Ball State. I go there to tailgate and be with my friends and family.

Or when I go shopping, I want to wear what the models in advertisements are wearing.  They look so chic and different from everyone around them.  So why do I dress up and act like I know what's fashionable and hip? Does that make me a hipster? Or just a poseur... because I want a pair of thick rimmed glasses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment