Thursday, September 12, 2013

Guys, it's totally possible to still make friends on the bus.

     Let me start off by saying that I don't often forget my phone. It's crucial for me to have it on my person at all times for various reasons. Students are expected to have access to their emails 100% of the time in case a professor might need to contact them. I have to be available for contact from my boss, my project partners, etc. I also have a list of other important items I have to take care of including, but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Blogger, and Snapchat. Priorities, guys.

     So, naturally, I'm attached to my phone a decent amount of the time. That doesn't mean that I don't know how to converse, though. I believe Brian brought up a good point the other day about how uncomfortable it makes people when you strike up conversations with them when you don't even know them. I'm happy to report that, that wasn't the case in my situation.

     So here's the story: I am finished with classes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 1:50pm. My final class is in Robert Bell and there is a MITS bus waiting for me on the other side of the road at approximately 1:51pm. I usually cut it close, but make it on that bus and head to my apartment. Several weeks ago I missed that bus by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin, so I was forced to take the bus that picks up around 2:14pm.

     Note: While I battle with slightly-above-average cell phone addiction, I rarely use my phone when I'm riding the bus home. I like to be aware of my surroundings, but I also like to people-watch and see if they start up conversations with me or other strangers.

     Anyways, once I hopped on the bus, I sat by a young lady with glasses on and messy hair in a bun. I had no idea who she was, but as it is with most MITS trips, you sit wherever there's a seat. I wasn't overly friendly with her. I mean, I was polite and asked to sit with her, but I wasn't certain how to strike up a conversation with her. Shortly after, a classmate and friend of mine hopped on the bus and stood next to our seat, alleviating the awkward social pressure of chatting with the person that was sitting half an inch away. We began talking about classes and homework when the conversation lead us to cats.

     Needless to say, we talked about our cats, cat videos, cat-themed clothing, and cat fashion for the majority of the bus ride. My friend arrived at her destination shortly thereafter. Just as she hopped off the bus, the girl sitting next to me spoke up.

"So I heard you guys talking about cats and I just wanted you to know, I love cats."

     You can only imagine where the conversation went from there. We exchanged stories and photos about our cats, crazy toys that we've created for our cats, similar tendencies that our cats have to one another. You name it, we covered it in that short 20 minute-long bus ride. I was so ecstatic to have met someone else who shared my immense love for cats that I forgot to properly introduce myself or ask for her name. All I knew is that she lived in the apartment complex next to me.




                                       



 








     Weeks went by and I told other friends of mine the "crazy" happenstance that occurred that day. After thinking about it, it wasn't all that crazy. Or at least, I shouldn't see it as crazy. Why is it the social norm to hide behind your cell phone in a public place? When did it become appropriate to ignore the person you're sharing a bus seat with? What are we so afraid of and worried about that we become crippled at the idea of conversing with strangers? Is it because we're so addicted to our media that it actually controls us?






     As many benefits we may gain from the Internet, Smart Phones, and Social Media, the machine is controlling us. We allow our lives to be dictated by the availability of people and services provided by the ever-available World Wide Web that we don't realize how disconnected we really are from reality. We only realize this when we forget those tools that provide that gateway to the "otherworld." We also miss out on opportunities with real people when we resort to hiding behind our phones. We miss out on what it really means to connect with someone face-to-face.

     So, Rachel, what do you propose we do about this?

     I PROPOSE WE CONTROL THE MACHINE! But seriously. The sooner we realize that we're the ones that have the power to dictate how we spend our time and how we use these resources meant for more than social networking, the better we can further our society and shape it into what we want it to become. And the less likely we are to end up lonely.

**UPDATE: I missed the MITS bus again yesterday and was forced to take the next one. I saw the cat lady again and found out her name is Jenny and what she's studying here at Ball State. Our conversation evolved and we were able to communicate this time without any use of our phones whatsoever. We also talked about topics other than our kitties. Guys, if it can happen to me (the mildly-addicted social networker), it can happen to you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment