Saturday, November 9, 2013

Gender Norms Realized

Two weeks ago my very first nephew entered the world.  I was so excited to finally meet him.  When I heard my sister was headed to the hospital, the first thing I did was go to Toys R Us to make sure my new little nephew had the coolest toys when he finally arrived.  I do realize that, at the moment, he has no clue what toys are or what to do with them. Nor is he going to realize what it is that I bought for him.  But I felt the need to supply him with an Incredible Hulk doll and an Avengers balloon.  There was no dispute that I won the "Coolest Uncle" award. 


Why exactly did I feel the urge to buy him a doll of a super hero?  My focus was locked on Power Rangers, Captain America, Iron Main, and the Incredible Hulk.  At no point in time did my focus look at princesses, baby dolls, or unicorns.  This is exactly the argument that was discussed in class when it came to princess and super hero influence on children. 
This argument is not realized by many people because of the norms that we are already living at today.  I never would have taken the time to think about why girls are only bought things that are pink and full of princesses; and why boys are only bought super heroes and military action figures.  I would have just said that that’s what all boys and girls like. 
Since I have taken time to think about the argument, I really can’t see my purchasing behavior changing.  I love super heroes and I can’t wait until my nephew is old enough to enjoy them with me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment